It has been over four years now since Holden joined our family. His journey started off bumpy and he's had to overcome some health challenges. But the Little Monkey continues to fight his way to becoming strong and healthy. We are so blessed to have him as our son. He inspires us and melts our hearts every day. Thank you for joining us on this journey. We've appreciated everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Every Day is Disney

There is nothing quite like Disney with your child to remind you of how magical the world can be! The simple joy and amazement on Holden's face as we walked down Main Street at the Magic Kingdom and ventured onto all the attractions, not only filled my heart with joy...but also made me think how great it would be if I could make every day like Disney!
Holden was living in the moment. The lines, crazy people, cost of things and heat could not phase him. He was very focused on Mickey Mouse and all things happy and good. As much as I try to live my life this way, daily obligations and stresses can easily get me off track. Maybe that is why Disney...or vacations in general can be so good for us. We literally, even if it is just for a couple of days, escape from our responsibilities and have a chance for some child-like fun!

This was Holden's second visit to Disney...however he doesn't remember our first trip. And honestly, this was a better age, as far as him being able to communicate his anticipation and excitement. He's grown up with Disney books and DVDs, so he was very familiar with the characters and their attractions. He says he liked all the rides, but the Buzz Lightyear one was his favorite. He also liked the Beauty and the Beast live show at Hollywood Studios, Pirates of the Carribean and all the parades.

A few days after we got back from Disney World, Holden had a follow up appointment with his cardiologist. The anticipation and worry I always have with these visits is the complete opposite of Disney. Although everything has been going well...there is always a fear hiding deep down inside of me. I find myself praying and talking to God a lot during these times. This visit, I had a sense of peace within. I walked in with the same attitude Holden had at Disney World..."all things good and happy!" Fortunately, the appointment went well. In fact, this was the first visit that his cardiologist seemed to acknowledge that Holden has defied medical odds. He didn't directly use the word "miracle", but certainly eluded to the fact that his journey is hard to explain. They did a follow up echocardiogram to check his pulmonary pressures since he's come off all medication and thank goodness, all looks good. Holden continues to live a full and healthy life, despite losing one of his pulmonary veins at 8 months of age. His body has created collaterals to move the blood where his vein used to. Doctors have called his medical issues complicated and challenging and have referred to him as a "pioneer" in this area.










To quote the song from one of my favorite rides at Magic Kingdom:


"It's a world of laughter
A world of tears
It's a world of hopes
And a world of fears
There's so much that we share
That it's time we're aware
It's a small world after all

There is just one moon
And one golden sun
And a smile means
Friendship to ev'ryone
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
It's a small world after all"




The past couple of years has made me want to make the most of every day. Although not always easy, I really do try to look at the good and positive in my life. Challenges certainly exist, but I try not to let them define who I am. I believe God put me on this journey for a reason and I have to think he'd want me to find ways to make it like every day is Disney!

No comments: